Sunday, January 10, 2010

End of Simulation (already)


Yesterday I had wanted to write an entry about the first day, but had virtually no free time to access the internet. As I wrote in the previous entry, I was in the press corps. Most simulation participants work during the day, go to meetings, debate, etc. then enjoy themselves in the evenings with food and drink. This is when the press corps is just getting started. Articles must be written, layouts must be created, footage must be uploaded, edited and posted. So between the late nights and busy days, I couldn't keep a regular blog.

On the first day the delegations for different countries split to go to their respective meetings (like "HOGS" or "COREPOR" or "FINANCE"). The representatives for those roles then sit in meetings for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. After each meeting is a press meeting, where the heads of government and others debrief the press on what has happened.

The day-in-the-life-of story never happened. The student playing the prime minister of Spain was not very enthusiastic. Also, the editor and faculty advisor missed the bus and didn't make it to the University of Limerick until it was time for the first press meeting. We improvised and I went instead to the HOGS (heads of governments) meeting to hopefully devise an interesting story.

I had expected the meetings to produce the dullest videos possible because, frankly, I thought that the meetings themselves would be somewhat dull. I was wrong on both counts. That happened to be the meeting when members debated whether Turkey should ever be allowed to join the European Union (EU), and if it should, then under what conditions should it join. The topic is one of the more contentious issues facing the EU right now, with heated arguments on both sides.

The floor opened for debate. Voices were raised as the delegates passionately argued for either side. It was hard to tell whether they were arguing their personal opinions or still role-playing their head of government character, because role-playing doesn't usually produce such fire.

Ultimately I got some really good footage of this, despite not having a proper microphone or a tripod or a light. It should be on youtube soon. For the piece I interviewed several members afterward to see whether they noticed this blurring of personal and character. By chance many of them had been assigned roles which coincided with their personal beliefs.

The simulation was overall a very rewarding experience. I learned a lot more not only about the EU, but about specific country's positions on issues like Turkey and heard thorough pro/con arguments. I also met many, many Europeans. On the bus yesterday I sat next to a student from Wales. He said he had never participated in such an event where so many various nationalities of students are interacting in one place. It really is a unique experience.

Today I left Limerick. I happened to be on the elevator with a Bulgarian who I met at the opening ceremony. Earlier today I mentioned that I'm going to Dublin. She was hurrying to catch her own train but starting rummaging through all her bags. "Wait! I have an extra ticket!" After opening up countless pockets in countless little bags she produced the ticket. My enjoyable free train ride terminated in a city covered in thick slush.

The rest of the Drake students took a bus to Cork and will continue their travels from there. Some of those students will continue this blog for the remainder of their trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment